Committed to Helping Our Clients Succeed in Nassau and Suffolk County
Serving Nassau and Suffolk County on Long Island
When a marriage that has produced children ends in divorce, determining custody arrangements can prove to be one of the most emotionally difficult and contentious obstacles to achieving a resolution. In a divorce, two separate types of custody must be determined:
1. Physical custody refers to which parent the child actually lives with and when.
2. Legal custody refers to which parent retains the right and responsibility to make educational, medical, and religious decisions regarding the child’s upbringing.
Having an understanding and experienced Long Island family lawyer can be helpful in navigating the complex legal matters surrounding child custody dispute. The Law Office of Joshua Adam Kittenplan, P.C. has provided his legal insight on hundreds of cases over the course of his career.
We can help during your darkest hour with solid legal counsel and, perhaps even more importantly, compassion.
– Small boutique law office to ensure personal level of service and attention
– Personal attention to each case
– Always available to each client
– Help with pursuing a child custody arrangement that is beneficial for you and your family
– Serving Long Island Families and Individuals for over 10 years
In the state of New York, it is supposed to view all custody matters in a gender neutral manner to help determine what the best custody arrangement might be for the child. Within the context of a divorce, child custody can be determined by a state Supreme Court. If you are seeking custody outside of a divorce, you will need to apply for custody in a Family Court.
– Which parent has been the main caretaker of the children
– Each parent’s parenting abilities
– The physical and mental health of each parent
– The work schedule of each parent
– The child’s relationship with siblings and other family members
– Whether there is a history of domestic violence